Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's Not Mac n' Chesse

As I mentioned in my previous entry, I have been keeping away from doing "nothing" by coming up with projects. This week, I've been reading more about vegan cooking and baking and trying out some fun recipes. I have to say being vegan in this city is quite the challenge but I make do with what I have. Sadly, I haven't been able to try some awesome recipes because I'm not within arms reach of a blender or a food processor. True, I could purchase a blender and make my life as a vegan a lot easier but in today's economic crisis, I don't want to invest in a blender that I will have to leave behind when I return to the US. So, I work my way around the recipes I find and stick mainly to ones, where I can replace or omit ingredients and/or kitchenware.

Being devoted green, healthy vegans, Jackson and I wanted to continue our custom of buying organic produce. Not willing to give this up, Jackson began researching and found a place in Buenos Aires that delivers organic produce to your door...El Rincón Orgánico was heaven sent. One thing I noticed though, after receiving our biweekly box of organic produce for a couple of months was that one food item ALWAYS seemed to pop up. What do you ask?....squash. Here is where making do with what I have at hand comes into play. Having never made squash before, I had to find recipes where I could use it. Thankfully, I found lots of recipes, most of which required a blender but after more browsing I found one recipe in particular that was fairly easy and super yummy. Today, I made Butternut Squash Macaroni Casserole....and it was delicious! Jackson said it was a good replacement for Mac n' Cheese...what does that mean?...well, he loved it!A very orangey butternut squashThe finished project!!

No comments: